Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a new princess

a royal wedding is in the works! as perhaps you've heard (!), prince william asked for kate middleton's hand in marriage and the two are expected to tie the knot next year in 2011. hearing this news brought a flood of memories back for me as i remember as a small girl my father waking me up very very early one morning back in july of 1981 to watch lady diana (will's mother) marry prince charles. i was very much a girly girl and the royal family and princesses held a special fascination for me so i was beside myself to see it. my father himself was a lifelong admirer of the british monarchy and he equalled my enthusiasm for watching the wedding. as we watched i got a history lesson--about the windsors, st. pauls cathedral in which they were married, the monarchy etc. which was my father the historian through and through. it really was a fairytale and diana looked radiant and beautiful. i also decided i wanted a bunch of small children dressed as little lord fauntleroys and little bo peeps at my own wedding some day, just as charles and diana did. (i am happy to report i grew up and out of that little fantasy!)

it was a magical event and so special in that i shared it with my father. that time of morning felt like we were the only two people awake on our side of the pond. i knew that wasn't really the case, but there is something about that hour of morning that seems special, almost secretive and magical. in any case, i'm excited to see how this latest royal wedding will turn out. it should be a beautiful thing to see and i'm excited to wake my own daughter to watch it with me.


one thing though...william proposed with his mother's engagement ring, an 18-carat sapphire surrounded by smaller diamonds. i can't help but feel that the ring is a little, um, jinxed? that marriage ended in divorce. maybe i'm being cynical...perhaps william is simply looking at it as a cherished heirloom and he feels he is keeping his mother alive and a part of his own wedding plans. well, in any case, i hope the two truly do live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment